Skip to main content

Coming Out. What's The Big Deal?

For members of the LGBTQ+ community both inside and outside of the Church coming out is a big deal for many reasons. It means that you are coming to accept who you are and overcoming the shame that you have carried-possibly for decades-due to your sexuality falling out of the "norm" of how society defines sexuality. It is a major step toward living a life of authenticity and self-love. It is a demonstration that you will not be controlled or shamed into hiding who you are. It is putting yourself-your entire self-on public display for all to see. It is the willingness to be vulnerable and live whole-heartedly.  

It is an invitation for others to come to know the real you and finally be able to connect wholly and completely without reservation with family, friends, colleagues, and others you interact with. It means you will no longer live in fear of other's opinions, judgement, hate, and discriminatory views.


It is a big deal. 


But...why?


I'm sure that we have all heard someone (probably a heterosexual) say something like, "I just don't understand why the LGBTQ+ community has to make a big deal about their sexuality. Why do they have to have a 'coming out'? I don't go walking around yelling 'I'M STRAIGHT, AND I'M PROUD OF IT!' 


Of course you don't. You don't have to. 


You're straight. Your sexuality has been socially accepted since the beginning of time. Your sexuality is considered the norm, the ideal, the right and good way. You didn't spend your childhood, youth, and majority of adulthood confused and afraid, living in shame and self-hatred, and having to hide your attractions. You didn't sit in Church listening to how your sexuality was evil, sinful, or a crime against nature. You weren't told that your sexuality condemned you to hell or how it was a choice, and if you just tried hard enough you could "overcome it" or be "cured" of it like it was some kind of contagious disease or a curse. You didn't live in fear that if you're parents found out they'd kick you out of the house and you'd be rejected by all your family and friends. You weren't told that as long as you remained faithful God would "fix" you in the next life to be "right" like everyone else and then start believing that death was the only way out of this mess that you've been told you chose to be in. You could talk openly about your attractions without shame, fear, and rejection. Even your objectification of the opposite sex was seen as normal and (wrongfully I would add) good. Others didn't equate your sexuality with meaning that you wanted to have sex with every person of the opposite sex that walked passed you, or even worse, that it meant you are a pedophile. 


It's called heterosexual privilege. 


And here's the thing about privilege: you usually don't know you have it. You aren't aware of how it gives you unequal opportunities and advantages in life big or small. 


Now, it's not my intent to disparage straight people. I don't hate them, nor do I want them to be hated. I don't need any kind of reparation, justice, or revenge. I love many straight people. However, I would be lying if I said that straight people haven't caused me a lot of pain, sorrow, and isolation in my life both intentional and unintentional. I think that one of the first steps to understanding, helping, and loving your LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters is recognizing and acknowledging the privilege you enjoy as a heterosexual. That doesn't mean you feel shame about your sexuality. It just means you become aware of the fact that you don't have to justify your attractions or defend your worthiness, validity, and place in the Church and society in general like your LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters do on a frequent basis.


(Tangent) 
In regards to being a gay man, I do find other men attractive. However, I don't find ALL men attractive. I have preferences and taste just like any straight guy has in women they're attracted to. If you're disturbed by the idea of another man being attracted to you or objectifying you, use it as a great opportunity to do some personal introspection on how you treat, talk about, and objectify women, because how you feel about another man doing it to you is probably pretty close to how women feel when you do it to them. Just sayin'...
(End Tangent)

So, in wanting to bring this back full circle, let's go back to my original questions. WHY is coming out for LGBTQ+ individuals such a big deal? Who made it such a big deal?


Now, I want to put a disclaimer here and say that the following answer is just my personal opinion, so take it as that, and please don't start stating it as anything more than that. 


The only answer I've been able to come up with is this: 


It's a big deal, because the privileged majority made it a big deal. 


I certainly didn't! As a child and youth I wasn't the one who starting calling myself "femmy", "gay", "pervert", "faggot", "girl", and other such names, and then asked my classmates to use them as well. Nope. Pretty sure it was the other way around. I wasn't the one who stood at the pulpit or taught classes in Church stating that  LGBTQ+ were evil, perverse, unnatural, mentally ill, and condemned to burn in hell forever. I wasn't the one who defined what masculine and feminine meant, nor was I the one who decided which of these categories each activity, hobby, interest, talent, profession, mannerisms and so forth fell under. It wasn't me who fostered and cultivated these beliefs and ideals to become so deeply ingrained in our culture. Why would I do that to myself?


The privileged majority set those boundaries. 


It's sad and probably pretty harsh to say it so bluntly, but there it is. 


It is one of the reasons I have personally disliked the idea of making a big to do of "coming out", because it means I'm still following the cultural tenets of the privileged. At the same time, I feel like I have to, because how else will I be able to help people see the need for change? How will I be able to live authentically? How will I be able to be a voice and advocate?


I have a hope that one day future generations won't have to write "coming out" posts on social media or come out in their ward councils or such environments, because they will have never had to live in the shame and fear that past generations had to. They will be able to live authentically and be loved and accepted for who they are from the very beginning. I have hope that they will be told without reservation that everyone, no matter their sexuality or gender identity, has an irreplaceable spot in the Kingdom of God. That they have a work to do and role to play that no one else can do. That they are not a mistake, but that they were created exactly how God intended them to be, because it's part of His perfect and loving plan that He has individually customized so that we could grow to be exactly who we are meant to be, which, by the way, is to be be like Him and not the stereotypical gender roles that we have tried to force upon each other. 


I pray that we will more fully live the covenants we take upon ourselves when we are baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which Alma so beautifully and simply lays out in Mosiah 18:8-10. 


Ye are...called...to bear one another’s burdens...and...mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those who stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses to God...that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you.


My hope is that one day we as a Church and as one body of disciples of Christ will be able to "come out" and come away from past paradigms and live more fully in unity, love and peace just like He intended. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Address the MOM in the Room

On August 24, 2012 I married the love of my life in the Manti Utah Temple. It is without a doubt one of the best days of my life. The two pictures below have come to be my absolute favorite from our wedding.  If you've never been to the Manti Utah Temple it is on top of a very large, very steep hill (you can see the full size of it in the first picture of this post). These pictures do not do justice to just how tall and steep it is. Our photographer caught these two candid shots while we were climbing back up the hill after taking some photos at the bottom. It was very difficult for Emma to walk up the hill in her wedding dress, and her feet kept slipping. It was very slow going, because we did not want her to fall and get a grass stain on her dress. I had to help push her up the hill and keep her from falling when she slipped.  Over the years these two pictures have become beautifully symbolic of our marriage.  Our marriage is what may be called a Mix

You Are Not a Coincidence

I came across this beautiful video produced by FamilySearch for their 2014 RootTech conference earlier this week and I had to share it.  I could share several more videos produced by FamilySearch that I love, but I'll let you go watch them yourself. I just love this and their other videos. They are so wonderfully done.  This video got me thinking about how we all at one time or another feel isolated, alone, unwanted, unloved, rejected, scared, and not enough. Those feelings come to all of us. Some feel this way on a daily basis for many reasons. We feel like we don't have a purpose. Many of us have even felt that there's no reason to continue; that our family and friends would be better without us.  This is simply not true.  For anyone feeling any of the above I want you to read what I'm about to say very carefully.  YOU ARE NOT A COINCIDENCE! If you don't believe me I want you to consider the following.  This picture is what genealogists/family historians call a fa

Coming Out & Why It Never Ends

October 11 is National Coming Out Day. For that reason I wrote this new "coming out" post. After all, coming out is not just a one time ordeal.  In March of 2019 I took my first step in becoming more open and public about being a gay man and a gay member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It started with a music video produced by the non-profit organization, NorthStar.  Then, Emma and I were invited to share our story by recording a video for the Voices of Hope Project . Just before the video was launched I began this blog and wrote my coming out post  and created a partner Facebook page . That was an incredibly empowering and vulnerable moment when I clicked "Publish" and then "Post" on Facebook.  Since those days I have received numerous messages of support and love. I have had people approach me in unexpected places to express their support. That was something I had never experience before in connection with my sexual orientation. Know