Skip to main content

Seeing it From the Other Side

I'm sitting at home having missed work for two days now, because I'm sick. My throat is sore and swollen, my joints hurt, and I've completely lost my voice. Even whispering is painful. So, what do I do? Take meds, sip on hot lemon and honey water, wear sweats all day, take frequent naps, and work on the blog post I didn't get done for this week, of course.

It has been almost 5 years since I came out to Emma about my being gay. As if that wasn't hard enough for her to learn, it also came with years of baggage and heartbreaking, earth shattering, trauma-inducing confessions. 

It's curious how, despite the fact that I have publicly shared a lot about our marriage and my personal struggles in our Voices of Hope video and essays, I still find myself feeling nervous and vulnerable writing about it here. I think there will always be a level of those feelings when I talk about all of that. I don't think it's very easy to talk about the not-so-shiny and ugly parts of our lives. However, I do think it's important. It helps us to rid our lives of shame by bringing it out into the light. It helps us find healing and forgiveness. It brings connection with others. It provides strength and hope for others who have similar experiences and struggles. 

It helps us to see that we are all human; imperfect, flawed, messy humans. 

Sometimes, I forget that though our story is 5 years old for us it is new for others. I forget that Emma and I have had 5 years of recovery, healing, and forgiving, but others just hearing and learning of our story are experiencing shock, hurt, and anger. Sometimes, I just expect others to be where I am after 5 years when they hear our story. 

I'm trying to change that mindset as it is not a good or healthy way to think. 

I haven't always been the best at giving others the space they need to go through the process I was given over the last several years. It is a bit prideful and thoughtless to think that way. I never intended to be that way, nor did I intentionally expect others to just be okay with me or our story. I just didn't take into account that it is all new for them and maybe for you the reader. 

Recently, a family member told Emma and I how they felt about everything. It was frankly honest and a bit painful to hear. I found myself experiencing a whole gamut of emotions; hurt, sadness, anger, rejection, vulnerability, fear, defiance, compassion, love, and others. They would come in waves and I never knew what the next emotion would be. I even began to question our choice to publicly share our story. I knew doing so could evoke this kind of reaction. I've received some not very nice messages from strangers, but it never bothered me. However, when it was a family member who expressed some of the these feelings it was a different story. 

I learned an important lesson. I still have work to do. I still have restitution to make. When I made those terrible choices I didn't just hurt Emma. I didn't just hurt my children (though they will never remember the actual events, they will have to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives.) There was collateral damage, others in the splash zone, that I didn't previously consider. 

I hurt Emma's parents. I hurt my parents. I hurt Emma's siblings. I hurt my siblings. I hurt the spouses and children of Emma's and my siblings. 

The splash zone is way bigger than I had previously considered. 

Each and every one of those individuals are going to have to go through their own journey with hearing and dealing with my past actions. Giving them the space and time to process it all, feel their own hurt, pain, anger, sadness, etc. is important. I need to have compassion and empathy toward them. I need to do the work it takes to rebuild trust with them. I need to respect and honor the time they need. I need to be willing to let go and forgive when angry words are said or when assumptions or stereotypical labels are placed on me.

Hurt people hurt people. It's just part of the struggle. 

Some may even feel hurt that we didn't come to them when we were going through the worst of it all. They may feel anger that we kept it from them for so long. I can understand and respect those feelings. But it was for a good reason. Our marriage was hemorrhaging 5 years ago. Emma was adamant that she wanted to stay in the marriage despite all the terrible things I'd done, as was I. We were determined to work through it. We had never been so united as we were at that time up to that point in our marriage. We felt guided, and were even counseled, that it wouldn't be a good idea to let others in on the situation yet. Our marriage had been burned to the ground-foundation and all-and the last thing we needed as we began to rebuild it was to have others helping lay the foundation and build the walls. This was something only we could do. 

Now that we have built that foundation and the walls, we are ready to begin sharing our story and our journey with our family. Now begins the work of rebuilding those relationships.

So, instead of pulling away and isolating myself from family or friends who may not be accepting right off the bat, but instead need time to process, heal, and forgive, I can respect and honor their journey. I can be open to their questions and their sometimes brutal honesty about their feelings about me. It is a painful process. From my experience, the pain is a sign of growth, recovery, healing, forgiveness, and connection. 




Love isn't always fun. In fact, the most important love, the love worth fighting for, is the messy, ugly, exhausting, painful kind of love. That kind of love is like a great tree with deep roots. It has weathered the worst storms, endured the most extreme temperatures, and survived the cruelest droughts. That is the love of family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Address the MOM in the Room

On August 24, 2012 I married the love of my life in the Manti Utah Temple. It is without a doubt one of the best days of my life. The two pictures below have come to be my absolute favorite from our wedding.  If you've never been to the Manti Utah Temple it is on top of a very large, very steep hill (you can see the full size of it in the first picture of this post). These pictures do not do justice to just how tall and steep it is. Our photographer caught these two candid shots while we were climbing back up the hill after taking some photos at the bottom. It was very difficult for Emma to walk up the hill in her wedding dress, and her feet kept slipping. It was very slow going, because we did not want her to fall and get a grass stain on her dress. I had to help push her up the hill and keep her from falling when she slipped.  Over the years these two pictures have become beautifully symbolic of our marriage.  Our marriage is what may be called a Mix

You Are Not a Coincidence

I came across this beautiful video produced by FamilySearch for their 2014 RootTech conference earlier this week and I had to share it.  I could share several more videos produced by FamilySearch that I love, but I'll let you go watch them yourself. I just love this and their other videos. They are so wonderfully done.  This video got me thinking about how we all at one time or another feel isolated, alone, unwanted, unloved, rejected, scared, and not enough. Those feelings come to all of us. Some feel this way on a daily basis for many reasons. We feel like we don't have a purpose. Many of us have even felt that there's no reason to continue; that our family and friends would be better without us.  This is simply not true.  For anyone feeling any of the above I want you to read what I'm about to say very carefully.  YOU ARE NOT A COINCIDENCE! If you don't believe me I want you to consider the following.  This picture is what genealogists/family historians call a fa

Coming Out & Why It Never Ends

October 11 is National Coming Out Day. For that reason I wrote this new "coming out" post. After all, coming out is not just a one time ordeal.  In March of 2019 I took my first step in becoming more open and public about being a gay man and a gay member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It started with a music video produced by the non-profit organization, NorthStar.  Then, Emma and I were invited to share our story by recording a video for the Voices of Hope Project . Just before the video was launched I began this blog and wrote my coming out post  and created a partner Facebook page . That was an incredibly empowering and vulnerable moment when I clicked "Publish" and then "Post" on Facebook.  Since those days I have received numerous messages of support and love. I have had people approach me in unexpected places to express their support. That was something I had never experience before in connection with my sexual orientation. Know