Skip to main content

The Women in My Life

Last year I shared this truth spoken by Gordon B. Hinckley, former president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and shared it again just yesterday in honor of International Women's Day:

"When the process of creation occurred, Jehovah, the Creator...divided the light from the darkness...then separated the land from the waters. There followed the creation of plant life, followed by the creation of animal life. Then came the creation of man, and culminating that act of divinity came the crowning act, the creation of woman."


A good friend of mine shared this piece of art that touched me deeply, and I keep is saved on my phone.



God's plan, the very existence of the human race, is impossible without women. 

It was a woman, Eve, to understood that God's plan for His children could not come to fruition unless she and Adam ate of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. 

It was a woman, both a mother and Pharaoh's daughter, who saved the infant Moses from the same fate as his contemporaries thus resulting in the deliverance of Israel. 

It was a woman, Esther, who risked her own life to face a king for her people and saved them.

It was a woman, Mary, who was visited by an angel and told that she would be the one to bring the Messiah, the Prince of Peace, the Savior and Redeemer of humankind into the world. 

There was a point that Elizabeth and Mary, two women, were the only people on earth who knew that Jesus the Christ was soon to be born into the world. 

It was a woman, Anne, who prophesied of Jesus' role in the salvation of humankind in the temple. 

It was a woman, Mary Magdalene, who was the first to see the Risen Lord and testified to the world that he lived again. 

I think about the women in my life. 

My grandmother who broke the cycle of abuse in her family and first found the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and led the way for her family to join the Church. 

My mother who also broke the cycle of abuse in her family and recognized the truth and light of the gospel, brought my father back into activity, and subsequently taught her children the gospel. 

And then there's the woman whom I regard above all. My sweetheart, Emma. 



There are no words good enough to describe Emma. She has overcome insurmountable odds starting from a young age. She is the epitome of what a woman is. Strong, unbreakable, unyielding, inexhaustible, intelligent, long-suffering, an advocate for the marginalized and downtrodden, fiercely loyal to those she loves, willing to sacrifice absolutely everything for her family, unafraid to face the criticisms of the world, a nurturer of the next generation, and a warrior for love and tolerance. There is nothing she can't do. 

She is Eve, the daughter of Pharaoh, Esther, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, and Mary Magdalene. 

In other words, she is a Queen. 

She is my Queen. 

She has done more for me second only to the Savior in making me the man, father, disciple, and friend that I am today. 

It is women who have and continue to save this world. I believe that it is women that God turns to in time of great need to stem the evils of the adversary and the tyranny of men. I believe a day will come when the veil will be lifted from our eyes and we will see that most of the greatest, highest honored individuals in God's kingdom will be women. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Address the MOM in the Room

On August 24, 2012 I married the love of my life in the Manti Utah Temple. It is without a doubt one of the best days of my life. The two pictures below have come to be my absolute favorite from our wedding.  If you've never been to the Manti Utah Temple it is on top of a very large, very steep hill (you can see the full size of it in the first picture of this post). These pictures do not do justice to just how tall and steep it is. Our photographer caught these two candid shots while we were climbing back up the hill after taking some photos at the bottom. It was very difficult for Emma to walk up the hill in her wedding dress, and her feet kept slipping. It was very slow going, because we did not want her to fall and get a grass stain on her dress. I had to help push her up the hill and keep her from falling when she slipped.  Over the years these two pictures have become beautifully symbolic of our marriage.  Our marriage is what may be called a Mix

You Are Not a Coincidence

I came across this beautiful video produced by FamilySearch for their 2014 RootTech conference earlier this week and I had to share it.  I could share several more videos produced by FamilySearch that I love, but I'll let you go watch them yourself. I just love this and their other videos. They are so wonderfully done.  This video got me thinking about how we all at one time or another feel isolated, alone, unwanted, unloved, rejected, scared, and not enough. Those feelings come to all of us. Some feel this way on a daily basis for many reasons. We feel like we don't have a purpose. Many of us have even felt that there's no reason to continue; that our family and friends would be better without us.  This is simply not true.  For anyone feeling any of the above I want you to read what I'm about to say very carefully.  YOU ARE NOT A COINCIDENCE! If you don't believe me I want you to consider the following.  This picture is what genealogists/family historians call a fa

Coming Out & Why It Never Ends

October 11 is National Coming Out Day. For that reason I wrote this new "coming out" post. After all, coming out is not just a one time ordeal.  In March of 2019 I took my first step in becoming more open and public about being a gay man and a gay member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It started with a music video produced by the non-profit organization, NorthStar.  Then, Emma and I were invited to share our story by recording a video for the Voices of Hope Project . Just before the video was launched I began this blog and wrote my coming out post  and created a partner Facebook page . That was an incredibly empowering and vulnerable moment when I clicked "Publish" and then "Post" on Facebook.  Since those days I have received numerous messages of support and love. I have had people approach me in unexpected places to express their support. That was something I had never experience before in connection with my sexual orientation. Know