Skip to main content

We Are Not Better Without You

September is suicide awareness month and last week was suicide awareness and prevention week. I do not feel adequate enough to talk about such an important topic, but I would be remiss to ignore it. I hope that what I share here is not hurtful in any way but filled with love and hope. Although I have gratefully not lost a family member to suicide, it has been close. 

My grandmother (pictured below in her high school graduation picture) survived the Great Depression and Dust Bowl. For those of you who are not familiar with the Dust Bowl, it is considered one of the greatest environmental disasters in American History. If you want to learn more about it click here for a book I highly recommend. The city she was born and raised in was one of the worst affected areas.



She is also a survivor of child sex abuse. I bring this up for context, but will not share more in this blog post about that. That's for another time. 

In her adult life she struggled with the ramifications of those traumatic experiences from her young life. She lived in a time and place where talking about such things was socially taboo. After years of struggle she found herself sitting in a camper by herself having a breakdown. She noticed the gas stove-top burners and thought to herself how easy it would be to turn them on, lie down to sleep, and never wake up. She seriously considered going through with it. 

I am so grateful that she did not go through with that thought. 

Instead, she chose to seek help and get therapy at a time when doing so was considered shameful. After many sessions of therapy my grandmother told her story and has since shared it with her posterity. 

She broke the cycle of abuse and shame that had trapped her in what she called a prison of silence. She was the main influence in her, my grandfather, and their children (including my father) being introduced to the Church and converting to the gospel. 

Tragically, her story is not how all of these stories turn out. 

Suicide is real. It affects more people than we realize. It's ripple effects are felt for generations. 

Major events can affect families for at least the next 3 generations. In that moment my grandmother had a choice: To keep living and seek help or to take her own life. I cannot imagine how different my life would be today had she made the latter of those two choices. 

Suicide is a very common struggle and major topic of discussion for the LGBTQ+ community. Here are a few reasons why:

  • Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among young people ages 10 to 24
  • LGB youth seriously contemplate suicide at almost three times the rate of heterosexual youth
  • LGB youth are almost five times as likely to have attempted suicide compared to heterosexual youth. 
  • 40% of transgender adults reported having made a suicide attempt. 92% of these individuals reported having attempted suicide before the age of 25. 
  • LGB youth who come from high rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide compared to their counterparts. 
  • Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average. 

Some facts about the state of Utah where I live:
  • More adults have thought about suicide or attempted suicide than anywhere else in the country.
  • Utah ranks 5th in the nation for suicide deaths
  • Every 16 hours a Utahn dies by suicide. 

The topic of suicide is not a topic I have talked about much. I do not feel qualified to talk about such an important topic. I am by no means an expert. However, introspection has helped me see trends and patterns in both my life and the lives of my family. In the spirit of total honesty and vulnerability, suicide has been something that has crossed my mind a time or two in my life-especially as a youth. Self-harm has also been part of my life, though mostly subconsciously. There was only one instance in my life where I intentionally attempted self-harm. Thankfully, I walked away from that experience with only a bruise on my arm and a very sore elbow. However, I have always struggled with subconscious physical self-harm and verbal self-harm. 

The physical part is hard to describe, but it's there. Just ask my wife. There are certain physical cues she could point out that indicate if I am stressed or anxious. They usually consist of pain-inducing actions mostly related to my hands. I have greatly improved with these over the last few years, but they still pop up. My verbal self-harm consisted of constant shaming and self-hating messages I would tell myself. Through therapy and the support of friends and family I have been able to overcome almost all of these. Most of them stemmed from-you guessed it-my sexual orientation and how it was viewed and talked about growing up. 

If you are reading this blog and suicide and/or self-harm is something you are struggling with please seek help. 

If you know of someone who may be struggling with suicide and/or self-harm help them. Don't wait for them to come to you!

If there is just one thing you take away from this post about suicide and self-harm, I want it to be this:

There is hope

You have so much to give to this world! You have so much to experience, so many people to love! If you think that your family and friends and this world would be better off without you, you are wrong!

We will not be better without you.

We will never be better without you.

We need you.

I don't care your sexual orientation, gender identity, beliefs, past, etc. You. Are. Loved. 

God does not make mistakes. We are His children. He has an incredible plan for each of us. You are priceless, invaluable, eternally important, and infinitely loved by Him. 

Satan is a LIAR. He hates you and wants to see you miserable and hopeless. He despises your very existence. There is NOTHING he won't do to try and destroy you. Do. Not. Believe. His. Lies. 

I'd like to take a moment to talk to my fellow LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters. All of you-members and non-members alike. We intimately know the pain and tragedy of suicide in our community. We have lost so many in our community to it. 

For those struggling, please seek help. Please reach out. You are not alone. There are many who love you. If you'd like please reach out to me. I'm happy to give a listening ear any time. You can reach me at livinginthemix19 at gmail dot com. I have provided some suicide resources here for anyone wanting to learn more. 

For the friends and family of those struggling with suicide please be willing to step in and help. Learn the signs and symptoms of those struggling. Show love to those you know who are or have struggled with thoughts of suicide. Listen to them. Sometimes all it takes is someone willing to sit and listen and acknowledge the pain and struggles they are going through. If someone comes to you and tells you they're struggling with thoughts of suicide, believe them, listen to them, show love and compassion, and get them help. If you know of or learn of someone who has attempted suicide don't judge them. Love them. Let them know that they belong. Be the friend they need. 

For those who struggle with suicide because of your sexual orientation or gender identity and are doubting your place in God's plan and His Kingdom, know that you have a place. You belong. You are valuable and needed. You have a purpose. Please don't go.The Church and its members need you and your faith, testimony, and love. Us fellow LGBTQ+ Church members need you. I need you. LGBTQ+ people have an incredible capacity to love! We need that gift and leadership in the Church. There is no one better qualified to demonstrate the power of love than you. 

For those who have lost loved ones to suicide, I am truly, deeply sorry for your loss. Your pain and sorrow is real. Nothing will be able to replace what you have lost. I understand the wound may not truly heal until you get to hold your loved one again. 

What a beautiful thing the atonement of Jesus Christ is. It will dry all tears, heal the wounded, bring comfort to those who mourn, mend broken hearts and minds, raise the dead to incorruptible and immortal perfection, and reunite families. He repairs broken ties. He bridges the gap of death that separates loved ones. He descended below all things, thus enabling Him to overcome all things. 

The loss of a loved one to suicide is painful, but it is not the end. There is hope in the Savior. I feel in my heart that all of those taken by this tragedy are welcomed and held in the arms of our Savior, and I know that we will one day see them again in perfect wholeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Address the MOM in the Room

On August 24, 2012 I married the love of my life in the Manti Utah Temple. It is without a doubt one of the best days of my life. The two pictures below have come to be my absolute favorite from our wedding.  If you've never been to the Manti Utah Temple it is on top of a very large, very steep hill (you can see the full size of it in the first picture of this post). These pictures do not do justice to just how tall and steep it is. Our photographer caught these two candid shots while we were climbing back up the hill after taking some photos at the bottom. It was very difficult for Emma to walk up the hill in her wedding dress, and her feet kept slipping. It was very slow going, because we did not want her to fall and get a grass stain on her dress. I had to help push her up the hill and keep her from falling when she slipped.  Over the years these two pictures have become beautifully symbolic of our marriage.  Our marriage is what may be called a Mix

You Are Not a Coincidence

I came across this beautiful video produced by FamilySearch for their 2014 RootTech conference earlier this week and I had to share it.  I could share several more videos produced by FamilySearch that I love, but I'll let you go watch them yourself. I just love this and their other videos. They are so wonderfully done.  This video got me thinking about how we all at one time or another feel isolated, alone, unwanted, unloved, rejected, scared, and not enough. Those feelings come to all of us. Some feel this way on a daily basis for many reasons. We feel like we don't have a purpose. Many of us have even felt that there's no reason to continue; that our family and friends would be better without us.  This is simply not true.  For anyone feeling any of the above I want you to read what I'm about to say very carefully.  YOU ARE NOT A COINCIDENCE! If you don't believe me I want you to consider the following.  This picture is what genealogists/family historians call a fa

Coming Out & Why It Never Ends

October 11 is National Coming Out Day. For that reason I wrote this new "coming out" post. After all, coming out is not just a one time ordeal.  In March of 2019 I took my first step in becoming more open and public about being a gay man and a gay member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It started with a music video produced by the non-profit organization, NorthStar.  Then, Emma and I were invited to share our story by recording a video for the Voices of Hope Project . Just before the video was launched I began this blog and wrote my coming out post  and created a partner Facebook page . That was an incredibly empowering and vulnerable moment when I clicked "Publish" and then "Post" on Facebook.  Since those days I have received numerous messages of support and love. I have had people approach me in unexpected places to express their support. That was something I had never experience before in connection with my sexual orientation. Know